Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Life Ago

My grandmother's spirit has long since left her body and as I sat by her bedside holding her frail hand, I traced each age line with my finger.

Here's the yummy pies....
Here's the juicy pulp scraped from an apple and fed to me on a knife...
Here's the laughter......
Here's the thousand hours of understanding.....
Here's the extra dime I didn't earn....
Here's the wisdon I forgot to tap....
Here's the sacrifice I never noticed....
Here's the quiet love that sustained me...
Here's the disappointment never mentioned....
Here's the home I needed....
Here's a life.

Thank you God for Grandma.
I write this because I don't want to forget.
Is there something you should remember?


Grandma Proses
Shirley A. Bender
Copyright © 1985
'A Life Ago' set to music...
Composed by Laurie Stonerock

No comments:

Post a Comment